Date: 19th February 2009 at 9:30pm
Written by:

Manchester City failed to take their chances as a late header by Martin Vingaard kept City fans waiting for that much needed away win.

The first piece of action took less than a minute to arrive. Almedia went down in City`s penalty box, but the Ref simply ignored the pleas from the crowd. Craig Bellamy then tested his knowledge with the off-side rule, and within 14 minute Bellamy was being caught offside on every run. Given then gave FC Copenhagen something to shout about when he dropped the ball from an in swinging corner, which had looped over the near side, but Zabaleta was on hand to clear any potential danger.

Copenhagen then had their best chance when Kvist`s header was collected easily by Given. City then had their best opportunity so far when Robinho thread the ball through to Shaun Wright-Phillips, but his shot was saved by the legs of keeper Christiansen.

A quiet but entertaining match sparked into life on the 29th minute when City took the lead. Ireland threaded the ball through to Onuoha, Yes Onuoha, who dribbled his shot straight at Christiansen, but the keeper failed to do anything as he simply let the ball hit him and bobble in. Nedum was laughing, and City was one-nil up.

The goal really did inspire City who went close less than 5 minutes later, when Ireland was just short of getting a touch to a deflected Bellamy free kick. The Irishman had made many key passes in the first half, but like Robinho, he just seemed not as interested.

Istanbul here we come? Maybe not yet but the first half performance was everything Mark Hughes would want. Halftime: FC Copenhagen 0 Manchester City 1.

Shaun Wright-Phillips was in the thick of the action from the kick off to start the second half. A mazy run by the wee lad, ended with Christiansen saving his shot from a tight angle. Wright-Phillips then got in the way when Ireland stuck a shot from inside the box, but hit SWP straight on.

The home side hardly looked in the game and City looked in cruise control. Then again this is Man City and the equaliser would not have surprised any Man City fans. Kritensen swung in a corner from the far side, which was met by Ailton Almeida whose powerful header flew past Given.

However City managed to regain the lead within minute of being pegged back. Determined work from Wright-Phillips by the corner flag, concluded in a cross that found Ireland who finished Wright-Phillips work with style. However Copenhagen`s defence could be questioned greatly.

Neat work from Bellamy and Shaun, forced a good save from Christiansen who seemed to know how to be a goalkeeper again. His save would prove crucial as in the middle of the three minutes of added on time, Vingaard perched with another header to dent what should have been a good night for City.

Final Score: FC Copenhagen 2 Manchester City 2.


Your Comment