Date: 2nd October 2008 at 9:51pm
Written by:

Mark Hughes made one change to his City side. Ben-Haim comes in for Richard Dunne, as a precautionary measure, to ensure Dunne is ok for Sunday`s game against Liverpool.

Mark Hughes stated he wanted City to come at them straight from the off, but the game started with a distinct lack of effort and passion.

Wright-Phillips was brought down on the third minute but the referee did not feel the need to bring out a card. City then had a scare; Omonia won a corner which was flung in from the right, and was inches away from connecting with two Omonia players.

Manchester City did up the game from 1st gear to about 2nd. Robinho flashed a shot/come cross, passed the far post. Other than that City lacked any sort of passing football, and lost the ball frequently with passes that where just awful.

One minute of extra-time was played due to a nose injury to Omonia`s Defensive Midfielders. Mark Hughes at the sound of the whistle stormed down the tunnel, and he will surely want a much improved second half performance.

Halftime: Manchester City 0 (2) AC Omonia 0 (1)

Whatever Mark Hughes said at halftime certainly took its toll. Robinho`s strike flew just wide but they didn`t have to wait too long to find the back of the net. Robinho`s neat work from the left wing rolled the ball back to Elano who drilled the ball home from about 25 yards. A superb finish from the Brazilian, who looks to be occupying a Tugay type role in midfield.

Shaun Wright-Phillips then poked a shot straight down the throat of Omonia`s keeper, as City went searching for the second.

The prodigal son did however manage to find the net in the 55th minute. Good work by Zabaleta who slipped the ball to SWP, who managed to keep the ball and go past 2 players before smashing the ball into the net with a training ground volley.

Hamman and Evans came on for Jo and Kompany but it was the third substitute who got the fans on their feet. Welcome back Martin Petrov. His pace made an instant impact, as he was inches away from testing the keeper.

Petrov, Ireland and Robinho went close for City but Omonia grabbed a souvenir for their time in England. A corner whipped into the front post was headed in by Alabi who took advantage of City slack defending.

Petrov then had the last shot of the game. A clever break involving Elano and SWP, led to a shot by Petrov, which tested the keeper.

A much better second half, in which should help them prepare for Liverpool on Sunday.

Job done, next please!


Your Comment